Browse sustainability stories from O Ecotexiles. O Ecotextiles blog is maintained by two sisters – Patty and Leigh Ann – who regularly write about their experiences while working with cleaner production partners.
Visit GreenStitched Home to access all our articles.
- Politically motivated January 3, 2018 5:22 pmHappy 2018! I wish you all the best in the coming year. I have tried to keep politics out of our blog posts, but I couldn’t resist Nicholas Kristof recent op-ed piece in the New York Times of October 28, 2017. It strikes a cord, since we founded Two Sisters Ecotextiles and O Ecotextiles to […]
- Tips on how to avoid chemicals October 25, 2017 1:37 amWe are always being asked about how to avoid chemicals which can harm you, so we thought it would be good to put together a list of how to go about it. Considering all the potential sources of toxic chemicals, it’s virtually impossible to avoid all of them. However, you CAN limit your exposure by […]
- Microplastics found in tap water September 21, 2017 5:13 pmThe Guardian, in early September 2017, released a report that microplastic contamination has been found in tap water in countries around the world. What this means for the seven billion people on earth, no one yet knows. All the experts can agree on is that, given the warning signs being given by life in the […]
- Why Cotton Inc. is supporting GMO cotton August 19, 2017 10:23 pmShortly after GMO cotton was introduced, GMO cotton producers, citing advances based on new GMO cotton and supported by a series of Cotton Incorporated conferences on sustainable cotton, portrayed conventional cotton as the new “sustainable” choice and organic cotton as an old and inadequate solution that is as out-dated as last year’s fashions. (Editor’s note: […]
- Not Michael Pollan’s Food Rules July 26, 2017 12:10 amOne of the presenters at the 2011 Living Building Challenge (whose name I’ve been trying to find, but cannot – so apologies to the presenter who remains unnamed), inspired by writer Michael Pollan’s Food Rules, shared a list of ways to choose products that remove the worst of the chemical contamination that plagues many products. […]
- What is CertiPUR? May 23, 2017 11:01 pmWhy is it necessary to find a good mattress for your baby? For one thing, babies spend a lot of time sleeping. And there is evidence that your immune system works hardest at night, so it seems reasonable to make your sleep environment as clean as possible. A study done in 2014 by the University […]
- For our children May 4, 2017 1:47 pm“Going personally green is a bet, nothing more or less, though it’s one we probably all should make, even if the odds of it paying off aren’t great. Sometimes you have to act as if it will make a difference, even when you can’t prove that it will.” Michael Pollan Our children today live in […]
- Scary new CHEM Trust report March 28, 2017 9:57 pmImagine my distress when I read the new CHEM Trust report, titled “No Brainer: The impact of chemicals on children’s brain development: a cause for concern and a need for action” – because many of the chemicals are found in our clothing and furniture. To see the report, click here. For those of you who […]
- What’s new in safe flame retardants? March 2, 2017 3:06 amI get tired of always pointing out the bad chemicals that can do us harm, so I thought it might be fun to try to find if there is new research on flame retardants which may be on the market – and which don’t harm us or our planet! More than 175 flame retardant compounds […]
- What’s new in stain repellents? January 10, 2017 10:21 pmWe haven’t talked about stain repellents for a few years (we last published a blog on the subject 4 years ago) and think it’s time to revisit the topic because of all the claims that companies are making about “safe” stain repellents. Here’s why stain repellents are simply doing us no good: All stain repellent […]