Browse sustainability stories from O Ecotexiles. O Ecotextiles blog is maintained by two sisters – Patty and Leigh Ann – who regularly write about their experiences while working with cleaner production partners.
Visit GreenStitched Home to access all our articles.
- Not Michael Pollan’s Food Rules July 26, 2017 12:10 amOne of the presenters at the 2011 Living Building Challenge (whose name I’ve been trying to find, but cannot – so apologies to the presenter who remains unnamed), inspired by writer Michael Pollan’s Food Rules, shared a list of ways to choose products that remove the worst of the chemical contamination that plagues many products. […]
- What is CertiPUR? May 23, 2017 11:01 pmWhy is it necessary to find a good mattress for your baby? For one thing, babies spend a lot of time sleeping. And there is evidence that your immune system works hardest at night, so it seems reasonable to make your sleep environment as clean as possible. A study done in 2014 by the University […]
- For our children May 4, 2017 1:47 pm“Going personally green is a bet, nothing more or less, though it’s one we probably all should make, even if the odds of it paying off aren’t great. Sometimes you have to act as if it will make a difference, even when you can’t prove that it will.” Michael Pollan Our children today live in […]
- Scary new CHEM Trust report March 28, 2017 9:57 pmImagine my distress when I read the new CHEM Trust report, titled “No Brainer: The impact of chemicals on children’s brain development: a cause for concern and a need for action” – because many of the chemicals are found in our clothing and furniture. To see the report, click here. For those of you who […]
- What’s new in safe flame retardants? March 2, 2017 3:06 amI get tired of always pointing out the bad chemicals that can do us harm, so I thought it might be fun to try to find if there is new research on flame retardants which may be on the market – and which don’t harm us or our planet! More than 175 flame retardant compounds […]
- What’s new in stain repellents? January 10, 2017 10:21 pmWe haven’t talked about stain repellents for a few years (we last published a blog on the subject 4 years ago) and think it’s time to revisit the topic because of all the claims that companies are making about “safe” stain repellents. Here’s why stain repellents are simply doing us no good: All stain repellent […]
- Firefighters November 3, 2016 6:28 pmWe now know that firefighters and other first responders are at risk because of exposure to chemicals in the smoke that they are exposed to. In fact, marine toxicologist Susan Shaw, PhD, found that firefighters had alarmingly high levels of PBDE flame retardants (polybrominated diphenyl ethers) in their blood immediately after fighting fires—three times higher than […]
- Why do we offer safe fabrics? October 3, 2016 11:36 pmWhy do we say we want to change the textile industry? Why do we say we want to produce fabrics in ways that are non-toxic, ethical and sustainable? What could be so bad about the fabrics we live with? The textile industry is enormous, and because of its size its impacts are profound. It uses […]
- Hemp vs. Linen August 31, 2016 6:13 pmWe are often asked for 100% hemp fabric in lieu of linen fabrics. We offer hemp and adore it, but it may not be the best eco choice. Make no mistake – we love hemp, we sell hemp fabrics and we think the re-introduction of hemp as a crop would be a boon for American […]
- New legislation that makes us safer – maybe. July 21, 2016 1:40 pmPlease take a look at our new retail website, http://www.twosistersecotextiles.com! While asbestos is illegal in more than 50 countries, the United States is not among them. The EPA tried to make asbestos containing products illegal in 1989, and succeeded temporarily. But the ruling was overturned in 1991 after the court found the EPA hadn’t considered the […]