Browse sustainability stories from O Ecotextiles. O Ecotextiles blog is maintained by two sisters – Patty and Leigh Ann – who regularly write about their experiences while working with cleaner production partners.
Below content is auto-generated from a syndicated newsfeed. It has not been edited by GreenStitched.
- DIY Face Masks – Update! March 22, 2020 10:11 pmKass Tailored has partnered with Providence Hospitals. Jeff Kaas has converted his factory 20 minutes north of Seattle to produce face shields and masks. They just completed the conversion evidently in the last 72 hours. And they are sharing how to’s and have assumed the job of educating other workrooms who want to do the […]
- DIY Face Masks March 22, 2020 9:01 pmHello All; We have not been posting regularly for the last year, but we will be prioritizing posting again now. Numerous workrooms have contacted us to ask questions about making face masks – for medical professionals primarily. (According to CDC Guidelines, if you are not a medical professional or if you are not already infected, […]
- How China’s ban on importing waste has impacted the world’s recycling systems April 2, 2019 6:15 pmThis story was originally published by Yale Environment 360 (Katz, Cheryl, “Piling Up: How China’s Ban in Importing Waste has Stalled Global Recycling”, Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, March 7, 2019). We think it’s quite important so we’re reprinting it here: It has been a year since China jammed the works of recycling […]
- Textile Industry and Climate Change February 26, 2019 8:00 am“I believe we stand at a turning point in history. For the first time, humans are no longer just affected by weather cycles, we are affecting those cycles—and suffering the consequences of doing so.” Patricia Espinosa, UN Climate Change Executive Secretary Climate change is without a shadow of a doubt, one of the most pressing problems […]
- Obesogens January 30, 2019 4:55 pmResearchers have come to a greater understanding of the multiple factors that influence obesity, which of course include our diet, but also our hormones, bio-individuality, epigenetics and increasingly, the environment. While lack of activity, poor diet, and genetics are frequently blamed for this problem, could there be other factors in the environment affecting our weight […]
- FabricsellerA November 27, 2018 7:13 pmA company that sells fabric on line has a post about why they don’t offer Oeko-Tex certification. Their post is woefully incorrect. We do not name the company, but call it FabricsellerA. Their post, titled, Why Oeko-Tex certification is NOT Relevant to American Made Fabrics, (the entirety of which you can read below at the end […]
- What is the benefit of PLA? October 9, 2018 2:01 pmMuch of this article came from the Smithsonian Magazine written by Elizabeth Royte – to whom we owe our gratitude. Near Blair, Nebraska is the largest lactic acid plant in the world. Into one end goes corn, and out the other comes white pellets, which some say is the future of plastic. The substance is […]
- What is Sensuede? July 17, 2018 8:43 pmSensuede is, according to its website, an elegant, supple, high performance textile made with recycled fibers. But Sensuede is not a fabric we’d be excited about selling, and let us tell you why: Sensuade is just a brand name for a polyester microfiber. Ultrasuede was the first of its type. But all microfibers are made in […]
- Why are “endocrine disruptors” a concern? June 19, 2018 3:10 pmWe published this in March, 2015, but it’s worth going over again. In 2012, Greenpeace analyzed a total of 141 items of clothing, and found high levels of phthalates in four of the garments and NPE’s in 89 garments – in quantities as high as 1,000 ppm – as well as a variety of other […]
- Nichlos Kristof gets it! April 24, 2018 7:00 pmNicholas Kristof had an editorial in the New York Times on February 25, 2018. This is a reproduction of his editorial: Our bodies are full of poisons from products we use every day. I know – I’ve had my urine tested for them. Surprised? So was I when I had my urine tested for these […]